Skip to main content

media reflection

Media Reflection 6/12/19
     Throughout the past few months of doing media blogs, I have significantly increased my knowledge of marketing, roles is media, media consumption, and most importantly how it affects me. I have never evaluated media or looked closely into it like I did recently and doing this completely changed my perspective on how I see every movie, ad, commercial, etc. I can’t watch a commercial without thinking to myself about which appeals it uses, the choice of models, or the implicit messages.
     Since I was born, I have consumed an extreme amount of media. Until this semester, I barely knew what media was or how much of an impact it has on me. Now, I am much more educated on what I see and how to be aware of it. As a child I never questioned the shows and why they always use rich white actors. I honestly didn’t even notice. Now, I notice the lack of diversity in media every day. This knowledge is very important because I look at ads and know if I should trust them or not, see what kind of assumptions they make about me, and who their target audience is. Also, as a women it’s important to note that the roles played by females in the media, is not a valid representation of what women are capable of. They are often made into stereotypical house moms who cook, clean, and take care of their children. But, as an educated consumer, I can see that this lack of diversity for women in media is dashing to our society. This concept is just as important for men to understand as well. Stereotypes formed because of media is a big flaw in the system and I am glad to see some recent changes to improve that.

     I hope to continue analyzing the media I see every day like I did with these blog posts and use it to continue learning about media. I think if I keep up these habits I will be able to notice changes if there are any and new trends in marketing. Hopefully, these tendencies with improve our society and how we are taught to see one another. The media honestly does shape our perspective on the world, which I think needs to change. I have limited myself on how much media I consume, so that I am not reliant on it to shape my thoughts. This was a big step in being aware of my media consumption, and I will continue to be aware of media and its effects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women in Media

5/25/19 By watching MissRepresentation, I learned a lot about the history of women’s roles in media. I was surprised to watch how women journalists on the news were depicted by their appearance so much by men. It was unbelievable what men said about women on national television showing no respect. This movie helped me understand why women often feel so discouraged to be involved in politics and media in general. In the film a man said the more power  women get, the more backlash they receive for it. I agree with this statement and think it’s a result of men being taught that they have to be smarter, stronger, and better than women. The film also talked about this issue. I think boys are being raised to believe they can’t show their emotions and they have to act tough and strong. They learn these ideals through media and common phrases like “Boys will be boys” and  “You throw like a girl.” Although these may not have like they have a big impact on boys, when everyone in our socie

Justin Bieber: Influencing Through Media

 4/29/19 Justin Bieber, a 25 year old singer and influencer is by far my favorite artist and always has been. He has been successful and hardworking in his career from the start when he was just 13 years old. I have been following his life through social media, news articles, radio stations, and anything his name was in for almost the past ten years. It seems crazy that I can know so much about a person I have never met, feel so close to him, and yet he could be a person nothing like the figure I have carved out for him to be. I have watched him through his peak, his ups and downs, and more recently I have noticed him becoming more and more open about his life through social media. About three years ago Justin was on tour for his album, Purpose, and I had the chance to see him live in Los Angeles. About a week before his concert, he announced he was depressed because of the tour and the pressure he felt to make others happy. He decided to end his tour about a month ear

My Relationship w/ Media

As many other teenagers my age would say, I think my relationship with media is overwhelming and unhealthy. I find that in any free time I have,  between classes, at home, or in the car, I resort to my phone to connect with others and see what my friends are doing. Since I was a toddler, the media has shaped my life in ways stronger than I prefer through television shows, news, the radio, and most importantly for me, my phone. For example, one of my favorite shows growing up, Hannah Montana , which I watched at least five out of seven days of the week had a big influence on me as a child. It made me want to have blonde hair, live in a big beach house, and have a closet full of new clothes and shoes that spins and is bigger than the size of my room now. Not to discredit Hannah Montana and the good morals she had taught me like loyalty to my friends and family and how “nobody’s perfect,” but I think I’d be ignorant to believe that her lifestyle didn’t have any influenc