Skip to main content

My Relationship w/ Media



As many other teenagers my age would say, I think my relationship with media is overwhelming and unhealthy. I find that in any free time I have,  between classes, at home, or in the car, I resort to my phone to connect with others and see what my friends are doing. Since I was a toddler, the media has shaped my life in ways stronger than I prefer through television shows, news, the radio, and most importantly for me, my phone.
For example, one of my favorite shows growing up, Hannah Montana, which I watched at least five out of seven days of the week had a big influence on me as a child. It made me want to have blonde hair, live in a big beach house, and have a closet full of new clothes and shoes that spins and is bigger than the size of my room now. Not to discredit Hannah Montana and the good morals she had taught me like loyalty to my friends and family and how “nobody’s perfect,” but I think I’d be ignorant to believe that her lifestyle didn’t have any influence on me. Now that I’m older, I think I hold myself more accountable for what I watch and listen to. I understand that looking at my phone screen and seeing other people’s lives every day isn’t beneficial for me in any way, so I try my best to limit it. When I was in middle school, I was definitely very materialistic. I saw other girls posts with their nice clothes and shoes and thought somehow if I had that too, I would be better. As a result of the music I listened to, shows I watched, and social media I connected with, I became reliant on others to make ideals for me to follow. For a while, I allowed media to practically control my life, but in the past year I have definitely become more aware on the media I consume.
Because of media, I have become very educated in subjects we learn about in school, in political issues, and some subjects we are never taught at school. In this sense, media is very valuable. Doing research on the internet has taught me about current events happening in the world that I otherwise would have no idea. For example, the ALS ice bucket challenge raised over $115 million dollars for research on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and treating patients with this disease. As an 11 year old, I thought the ALS ice bucket challenge was hilarious and spent hours watching videos of people simply dumping ice water on them. Then, I talked about the challenge with my family, and found out that it actually had a purpose, to raise money for ALS. This led me too to want to donate money to the organization. I think the ALS ice bucket challenge was a good reminder of how much good media can do for our American culture.
I hope throughout this process of analyzing media, my relationship will grow into a healthier one. I want to be more knowledgeable on what media’s purpose is for me and the people putting it out there. Ultimately, I desire a relationship with media that is only beneficial and less controlling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women in Media

5/25/19 By watching MissRepresentation, I learned a lot about the history of women’s roles in media. I was surprised to watch how women journalists on the news were depicted by their appearance so much by men. It was unbelievable what men said about women on national television showing no respect. This movie helped me understand why women often feel so discouraged to be involved in politics and media in general. In the film a man said the more power  women get, the more backlash they receive for it. I agree with this statement and think it’s a result of men being taught that they have to be smarter, stronger, and better than women. The film also talked about this issue. I think boys are being raised to believe they can’t show their emotions and they have to act tough and strong. They learn these ideals through media and common phrases like “Boys will be boys” and  “You throw like a girl.” Although these may not have like they have a big impact on boys, when everyone in our socie

Justin Bieber: Influencing Through Media

 4/29/19 Justin Bieber, a 25 year old singer and influencer is by far my favorite artist and always has been. He has been successful and hardworking in his career from the start when he was just 13 years old. I have been following his life through social media, news articles, radio stations, and anything his name was in for almost the past ten years. It seems crazy that I can know so much about a person I have never met, feel so close to him, and yet he could be a person nothing like the figure I have carved out for him to be. I have watched him through his peak, his ups and downs, and more recently I have noticed him becoming more and more open about his life through social media. About three years ago Justin was on tour for his album, Purpose, and I had the chance to see him live in Los Angeles. About a week before his concert, he announced he was depressed because of the tour and the pressure he felt to make others happy. He decided to end his tour about a month ear

Notre Dame Cathedral News

4/22/19 As many of us are aware, on April 15th, the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris caught on fire. This was a tragic event that I heard about on many platforms of media: radio stations, instagram, snapchat, the news, and pretty much all over the internet. I saw posts of people saying how sad it was, people trying to raise money to rebuild it, but most interesting to me people criticizing those trying to spend millions of dollars to rebuild it. The point is valid, that there are many other problems in the world like starving children, shortage of water, and climate change that could definitely put the millions of dollars to a more valuable cause. This event has caused a lot of controversy and drew attention to some of the issues our planet is suffering. I looked into two news sources that had articles on the Notre Dame fire: Infowars and AP. Infowars , according to the infographic, is nonsense and damaging to public discourse. Their headliner for the article on the fire is